Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Green Cleaners

I decided to clean out the bathroom cupboards recently. By the time I was done, I was surrounded by bottles. My husband was amused and I was irritated at the proliferation of cleaners that I found under the sink alone.

At $3.00 to $5.00 per bottle, I probably had close to $30 worth of cleaners in my bathroom alone. The one thing most of these cleaners have in common is the caustic smell that induces burning in my lungs and brings tears to my eyes. Many commercial cleaning products use ingredients that can be harmful to people and the environment.

I have found that I can save money, protect my family and the environment, and still achieve a clean home by using safe, simple ingredients to make my own non-toxic green cleaners. Here are just a couple of simple solutions for your household:

Drain Cleaner: Did you know that frequent use of caustic commercial drain cleaners can eat away your pipes? Instead, pour ½ Cup baking soda down the drain. Add ½ Cup Vinegar. Let it “fizz” for a few minutes, and then pour a tea kettle full of boiling water down the drain.

For stubborn clogs, use a plunger or mechanical snake. My plumber even recommends the baking soda and vinegar method!

All purpose cleaner: In a spray bottle, mix 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 1 teaspoon of Sodium Carbonate Washing Soda (found in the laundry section), 2 Cups of hot water, and ¼ Cup liquid vegetable soap, also known as castile soap (such as Dr. Bonner’s, found in most health food sections).

For more Green Cleaner recipes, visit www.tricountyrecycle.com and check out our recommendations for Creating a Healthy Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment